Saturday, May 19, 2012

An Entrance Essay?


So many, many things are going on right now.  I've just been letting you guys hang out there, without an update saying "Why yes, yes I am alive."  

So.. Here I am, alive, and busy as I've ever remembered being busy in a long long while.  

The new job is awesome. I love it.  Filling out papers, filing them, moving the things you filed, emailing people and instant messaging them.  It's a dream job for this teenager stuck in a grown up's life! Lol. 

Also, I'm trying to get registered back in college, to finish my degree (gasp, I know, shocking right?)

So here's the latest and greatest... My entrance/application essay..
The prompt:
Describe a goal or challenge in your past that required perseverance and determination to accomplish.

The (my) Response::

Many statistics show that a majority of the U.S. population is morbidly obese.. I am not exempt from that statistic. My father was raised in the south where most meals were fried and entrees were accompanied by gravy. This style of cooking transcended the generations and was a staple in my childhood nutrition. That was one of many factors that led to my “weight issue” beginning in childhood. Though it was never hindered me it was always something I found disheartening and isolated me from my peers.

When I became a mother, I felt a much stronger desire to be healthy for my kids. I had a desire for them to have healthy eating and exercising habits. So in 2012 I made a resolution, like most people, to lose weight and become healthy.

To become healthy I decided a long term goal, to be at an average weight for my height according to the Body Mass Index (BMI) standards. I broke down that goal into small, reachable goals, tasks and guidelines to assist in that. I knew that I had to measure my caloric intake, increase the amount of water I drank and most importantly increase my amount of aerobic activity. Utilizing only these three guidelines I met my first goal of losing ten percent of my original weight.

While I have not yet met my long term goal, I have maintained my first small goal. I am also utilizing those same guidelines, with modifications and additions continually, to reach my next goal of twenty percent of my original weight. This is not something that will happen overnight, or something that can be conquered easily. This requires daily discipline, with long term gratification that will greatly improve my life, as well as those around me.


No comments:

Post a Comment